Help Desk Metrics & Increase First Call Resolution & Self Help Tools
Focusing on First Call Resolution
When properly managed, your help desk should allow customer and employee problems to be resolved quickly. When tier-one help desk professionals are well-trained, first call resolution (FCR) rates improve and operational costs decrease due to a decrease in expensive call escalations.
In a Forrester research survey of 2,100 technology users, only 53% of those surveyed were "very satisfied" or "satisfied" with the help desk. One of the areas of greatest dissatisfaction was the ability for the help desk to resolve problems on the first call. In a 2007 survey of North American call centers, the industry average for First Call Resolution (FCR) was 68%.
This white paper examines the three critical components of your help desk (people, process, and technology) and shares industry best practices and expert recommendations. Some topics covered include:
- Suggestions for demonstrating the value of your help desk by sharing the most commonly valued metrics to external stakeholders and using root cause analysis to proactively address important issues
- Using metrics: Average Speed to Answer, Cost per Contact, Agent Utilization, Customer Satisfaction, # of System Outages, # of phone and email contacts, # of incident/agent/hour
- When to consider on-demand help desk outsourcing
- Self-help knowledge base management tools
- Remote management to provide rapid diagnosis of problems
- Value of ITIL for the help desk
- Value of a well-integrated help desk within IT and entire business
IT Help Desk Whitepapers
- How Does Your Help Desk Measure Up? - A Help Desk can cut costs and enhance productivity. Is yours meeting the mark?
- Considerations for Outsourcing: Service Desk - A guide to improving your Service Desk and Service Delivery performance through outsourcing
- Looking Beyond the Sticker Price - "What it really costs to operate a call tracking system" - Summary of Acquisition and Lifetime Costs
- How Does the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA) Impact the Hospital and Healthcare Industry