As first call resolution (FCR) improves, the overall cost of providing support decreases. Industry analysts estimate the mean cost to resolve a service request on level one to be about $32. The mean cost to resolve an escalated service request is about $60. In an environment averaging 4000 calls per month, improving FCR from 50% to 75% reduces the number of service requests requiring escalation by 1000 per month. The total cost to support those service requests is commensurately reduced yielding an estimated savings of $28,000 per month, based on the averages.
Giva's first call resolution excel calculator tool allows CIOs and VPs of Customer Service to accurately forecast the cost benefits of programs to increase first call resolution such as using a knowledge base, investing in level 1 training, hiring more skilled level 1 personnel, etc.
The direct benefit of improved FCR is significant cost savings. Although hard to quantify, the indirect benefits are equally compelling:
- Mean time to resolution is decreased, improving end-user productivity
- Customer satisfaction increases
- Up-tier resources can concentrate on higher level tasks, optimizing system performance and speeding other projects to ROI and completion
- Job satisfaction improves for both Level 1 and Level 2 engineers
- Relations between teams improve
- Level 1 credibility builds, increasing utilization and opening the door for additional FCR opportunities